How to re-index your website
If you’ve added new content, changed the link structure or made any other modifications to your website, then you will want to make sure that search engines display the most recent results. Usually, search engine crawlers are pretty good about picking up on new changes, but sometimes its beneficial to trigger this process manually to re-index your website.
There are multiple ways to achieve this, but it’s important to remember that you cannot force search engines to re-crawl your website (if you forgot what search engine crawlers out, then check this out). These methods are simple a nudge that will notify the search engines that you have changes that they should check out. Also keep in mind that you will need to determine if you want the search engines to re-index your full website, or if it’s only needed for specific pages.
- Navigate to: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/
- If this is your first visit, then add your website with the “Add a Site” button
- Click on your website name to manage it further
- Select Crawl and then click on ‘Fetch as Google’
- Select Fetch
- Click Submit to Index
- Click OK to finalize the process
This method will go ahead, and trigger google to re-index the website URL that you provided it with. If the provided URL has internal link to other pages, then those will be re-crawled as well.
Google Web Console
A slower (but more thorough) option is to add your full site into the google web console and then request a re-indexing
- Login into the Google Search Console
- Add a site and verify it with the provided methods
- After verifying your website click on URL Inspection.
- Enter your website URL and enter.
- After Inspection, you should be able to see an option for ‘Request Indexing’
- Click on it and your website will be added to the GoogleBot Queue for crawling.
Bing Webmaster Tools
- Open up the Bing Webmaster tools and sign in with your Microsoft account (you will be prompted to create one if you don’t already have one)
- You will need to verify ownership of your website to Bing. They offer 3 different options, so we recommend that you pick the one that you’re most comfortable with.
- Select “Verify” after and Bing will check your website for the provided verification code
- Click on your website name to open the Dashboard screen.
- Click the Configure My Site” and then click “Submit URLS.”
- Type your website’s URL using the format “http://websitename.com.”
- Click the Submit button twice to confirm your entry. You can submit 10 URLs per day, up to a total of 50 per month.
The processing time for re-indexing your website will depend on your overall request. Structural changes to your website layout can be re-indexed by google within hours, but content changes can take up to a few days to be completed. If you’re not seeing any changes after allowing some time (we usually recommend a week), then you can resubmit your website information again.
Google does not publicly publish any limits on how many times a website can be resubmitted, but it’s usually best practice to be patient about requested changes. There are of course exceptions to the rule like time sensitive post, but that is when appropriate content planning can save you a potentially major headache.